Thursday 4 December 2014

STORY: THE TALE OF TWO DYING STARS (EPISODE 2)




ADAEZE

Walking across the reception, the salutations from the workers are almost pushing me off my high-heels.

“Good morning ma!”

“You are welcome, ma’am”

“Morning Madam!”

  My response to each personnel is “Hi, morning!”

 This is my twentieth response from inside the elevator, thirteen floors down. And occasionally, I spice my greetings with a teeth-flashing smile, after waving my hand.

“Ugh!”

 Getting to the office at last…

 I open the door with a long sigh. I settle on the swivel chair, rotating myself on it as though to confirm if the wheel is working perfectly.

The office is coated in white. The desk stands in the middle, surrounded by a space enough to build a football field.  A circle of three sofas and a glass-top table situated a bit far away. Through the full glass wall, the third mainland bridge and cities beyond could be seen clearly from here. Looking at the glazed wooden floor and desk, one can easily mistake them for a bronze, for I can see my plain image on each of them, and yet they are made from timbers.

How long will I keep camouflaging for my parents about this marriage issue? I hope Frances would tell his father about our false engagement.

Frances is my school friend, a course mate in the university. We became intimate friends the day we realized we both hail from Umuogwu village in Abia state. Sometimes we’d communicate in our dialect, like brother and sister. He would tutor me on any challenging course. Back then, most of my friends believed we were dating. On the contrary, I knew her girlfriend and he was acquainted with my guys. I finished before him because he had some references.

 Ever since I finished my NYSC over a year back, my parents had been bothering me about marriage, just because I remain the only child. My parents lost my elder brother and sister in a motor accident when I was 17. It was on their way to school. I would have been a victim if I had not pretended to be sick. Alongside the driver, a total of three lives were lost on that fateful day. The incident happened three months after Dad won a big contract that made us a millionaire, from nothingness. Some of our kinsmen in the village rumored that Dad had used them as a boost for his money ritual.

 I really understand my parents’ feelings. But I don’t want to fall into the wrong hand. I had series of heartbreaks while in school and the scar in my heart is yet to heal.  I nearly lost Mum about five months ago. She was admitted for high BP, until I asked Frances to follow me to the hospital, to pretend as my fiancé.

Now Frances is assigning me to a position in his father’s advertising firm until he returns from South Africa. His younger ones reside in France.

 I begin to hunt through the files submitted on my desk yesterday. THE STAFF PROFILE FORMS.

 I didn’t scan their faces well at the meeting we had three days ago, except for this particular face that gave me a “pang.”

Yap, I have seen his profile.

Oh my goodness!

“Handsome” is an understatement for this dude. “Perfect” is better.

 Look at him, even in a passport photograph…I feel like seeking refuge in the depth of his oceanic blue eyes, shaped like almond fruits. His pink lips are daintily apart, as if created solely for the opposite sex. His angular cheekbones and concrete jaw appear so chiseled as though modeled to perfection by a skillful artist.  It normally grips me when I see a tanned skin African fella, with a semi Roman nose and bushy eyebrows. While observing his look at the meeting, I was wondering why he had not been making a living from his modeling physique, very smart on his shirt and trousers.

A man has never thrilled me like this before, or rather if I would lessen his features to that of a boy of 14 or 15, I might say a boy had done before.

Back to my childhood, when I was fourteen or so, I had developed a sense of admiration for opposite sex. Mum was taking me to school on a Tuesday morning. I saw this boy on a bus. He had a very cute face that set my innocent soul on fire. I could not resist looking at him. But each time our eyes met, I would avoid his eyes. It was as if my heart had become a timed bomb, ready to explode. When I saw him laugh at some passenger’s quarrel, I seized the opportunity to smile in his direction, so he could notice I’m so pretty. The boy seemed to have fallen for me too. I could see the glint in his eyes. I was close to tears when he was getting off, and I couldn’t do but peep at him through the window. I finally let my river burst and immediately wiped my tears before Mum could see my face.

The memory of this boy is still etched on my mind because “He remains the first and the last to pull my passionate tears.” Only God knows where he is today. He must have grown into a very handsome man. I have always wished we could meet again, so he could say a word to me. Maybe he would confess his love to me and I would confess mine. Gosh! Childhood affection is a fiction.

My mind flips over the nostalgia only for my eyes to rest on this wonderful guy. Some of his details read:

Name: Badmus Mathew Adeyinka

Residential address: 37, Apapa Oworonshoki express way, Lagos.

Division:  Media department

Relationship status: Married

 He is already married? Perhaps he has kids too. The worst of all is his tribe. I would only worsen the situation if my parents heard I wanted have a relationship with a Yoruba tribe. They’ve always been warning me against that. One of our kinsmen who married the tribe was knifed to death by her husband during a tussle. That was many decades ago. It has now become a taboo among our kinsfolk. I remembered one of my cousins who was mistakenly impregnated by a Yoruba man. It was her parent that sponsored the abortion

I feel a fire of frustration burn inside me

“What do I do?”

****

Two weeks later.

I’m still pondering over what to do. Each time I set my eyes on him, I always feel as if there is a deep hole in my soul waiting to be filled. Over the weeks, I have called him to attend to some files that are not his duty, just to see him. There was a moment I stared him in the eye, he directed his eyes at the ceiling. Each time my gaze had stolen his comfort he would frown as if to say: “Let me leave here on time and settle with my work!”

Another occasion, I wanted to ask him out, but couldn’t. I feared he would disappoint me. I must have lacked the confidence as a result of his marital status. Perhaps he loves his wife so dearly that he couldn’t think about any other woman.  His department doesn’t give a room for me to have much relationship with him.  He works with two other directors, the media director and the creative. I’m in charge of the production.

*

I’m done for the day, walking out of the office around 7.15pm. As usual, greetings attack my ears as I walk across the reception.

Not again! What is going on between this secretary and…….?

I‘ve always seen them together. This time she is seated close to him, almost kissing his cheek as they discuss. About twenty workers are hanging around, chatting with their co-workers and friends. And in the process, laughter strikes in the hall like a thunder.

I need to act fast on this dude. Married or not. I care not.


 I’m now standing about six feet away from them, delving into my bag for the car key.


“Thank goodness, I have not given it to the driver.”


YINKA


“Hello, Mr. Mathew!”

That must be Janet, with her thin voice, as sweet-sounding as the voice of a violin. Her British accent had once confused me. I used to think she had her tertiary education in the UK, until I saw:  LEAD CITY UNIVERSITY on a document in her office. I wish I could warn her to stop addressing me by my middle name.  

Before turning back I look from left to right, to confirm if I there is any name-sake around.

 “You’re referring to me, ma?”

 “Yes, Mr. Badmus Adeyin….” Her voice trails off.

 “I will be right back, Sandra,” I mumble to the secretary.

 I begin to walk towards her. I hope she doesn’t frown on our group discussion. She is a disciplinarian. She has fired three workers so far, one female and two males. The female was under the allegation of non-diligence, and the two others were staring at her in a seductive manner.  Chairman did not hesitate before granting those dismissal demands. Every staff, including me, wouldn’t dare look directly at her face. Who can stare a sun in the eye?

Now, I’m standing before her, trying as much as I can to avoid a direct eye contact.

She says in a tired voice, “I’m thinking….maybe you could drive me home. I’m feeling kinda dizzy.” She swings the key in her right hand, resting other palm on her forehead.

“But, ma,” I pause, thinking of how I could politely offer my excuse, “I saw your driver a few minutes ago. He must be waiting for you at the park.”

“Really?” She spins her eyeballs, throwing away her right hand as if to force herself to consciousness, “Ye…Yes…I ‘m really thinking of getting another driver. That man has started driving recklessly.” She rumples her face.

 I almost get carried away by her forbidden face, before saying, “Alright, ma’am. You may bring the key.”

I’m no longer surprised about the dismissed male workers. How could one resist a lady with such a rich round boobs, curvy figure, and plump build?!  She is just a few inches below my 7 feet height, regardless of her 10” high heels. For her to become a killer in a mere official dress, I can’t imagine what her look will cause in a casual wear. While I Study her white shirt and black skirt, my examination for her loaded butt and slim waist gives a figure “8” result.  Mr. Frances is really a blessed man!

Some of my colleagues are winking at me from afar. One of them mouths the word: “GUY, YOU DON ENTER WAHALA!”

She is asking if I’ve left anything, since I need to get home from her place.

“Not at all, Madam.”

“Okay, great!”

With that, she walks ahead of me, and I hurriedly give my colleagues an “OK” sign. I wave at Sandra and she mouths in response. “Bye dear.”

Janet got to know my driving skill the day the company driver wasn’t around. So I had to drive the company truck to a location we had an advert placement.

We are now at the first floor. She slows her pace to tell me where her residence is located. Thank God it’s still on the Island.

“It’s just a ten minute drive from here,” she assures me. And I let her realize I’m not familiar with the road map.

“Never mind,” says she, “I will guide you.”

 According to rumors at the office, I have come to realize that her father is a reputable automobile dealer, who also owns several hotels in the city.

 We arrive at the park, a pebbled acre of land lined with many prestigious cars.

 It’s a black jeep. A Land rover 2010 in year 2011 is a big deal.  The driver, a middle-aged man, appears from behind, asking for the key.

“Mr. Mathew!” Janet calls from across the car.

“Yes, Madam,” I answer from beside the driver.

She is asking me to hand the key to him. Surprised, I query her to be certain I heard her right.

“Yeah, you can give him the key and come to the backseat. Let him drive for now, so you get used to the road map, in case of next time.”

What does she mean by “in case of next time?” Is she employing me as her new driver?

“The back seat, ma?” I want to confirm.

I hope I’m not really in WAHALA, according to my colleagues. How do I sit beside fire, a whole fiancée of Oga’s son?

My own “dismissal letter” will definitely be an order from above.

“Yeah, come over,” she affirms.

I begin to hesitate like a child that has offended his parents, feeling timid to open the door.

When the driver starts the engine, I take a cautious look around to ascertain that no one is looking. I finally get in and attach myself to the door, thereby keeping a space I would have left for a real fire.

“Are you alright?” she turns to me; a smile swims across her dimpled cheeks, fading to her lips. She seems to be mocking me. “Please, sit comfortably.”  Her voice is unusually soft, and her eyes seem to glow with pride under the white shade.

“I’m okay like this, ma’am,” I adjust further to her side, leaving roughly two-feet space. She throws a glance at me with smiling eyes, and curls the corner of her lips as she looks ahead.

The whole glass is already wound up, for the air condition. Through the windscreen, one can see the street lights as they glow and spark like fireworks in their bright yellow, orange, blue, and green colours. The car pulls to the left in order to make a U-turn for the opposite lane. Now the street lights are beginning to speed over us, like flames of shooting stars. From down here, all the buildings seem to grow as tall as the sky. Some are carrying large sign boards of company names and Adverts:  PEPSI, T&B INSURANCE COMPANY LTD, BOOST ENERGY DRINK, EMMA AND JOHNSON COOPERATION, BRITTNEY FASHION AND MAKE-OVERS. The rest are blurring away as the car breaks into a silent speed.

 Fashion and make-overs are really causing a great war between couples. Last week Friday, Adeola had packed her belongings before I got home. I called her two telephone lines, she wouldn’t pick up. At first, I could not fathom why she so acted. I later realized it was because of the quarrel we had the day before. She demanded twenty thousand naira, for jewelries, new make-up kits and wears. She thought our previous month’s salary had been paid since it was 4th of November.  I insisted I could only afford fifteen thousand if I was paid. She didn’t speak a word to me throughout the night, and I believed it was her normal attitude, until that Friday. On my visit to her place at Ikeja, I was sad to hear she had travelled to Ibadan, her parents’ new residence.

My mind is awakened to the shrill horns of vehicles.  At this moment, there is a terrible traffic ahead, so many vehicles are making music with their horns, as if it would miraculously clear the way for them. Some desperate motorists have left their vehicles, trying to figure out the source of the hold-up.

Right here, Janet has drawn close to me by a few inches gap, dozing off already. Her head is swaying from left to right. Within just two minutes?  She must have overworked today. Besides, she already complained of dizziness. When I’m about to shift away, her head drops on my shoulder. Resting there. Not moving. I’m in trouble. How do I adjust her head?


ADAEZE



To be continued….






 

 YOUR OPINIONS ARE WELCOMED ON THE FACEBOOK LINK, PROVIDED YOU ARE NOT A BLOGGER. THANKS FOR YOUR PATRONAGE





Other posts
Breaking the fear(short story)















2 comments:

  1. Okay. This is good. Even though I don't write and read love stories, love stories from you are an exception. Good job.

    PS : Please don't be long in posting the next part so that you don't distance the story from your readers. I had to go back and speed-read episode 1 to catch up. Thanks for understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouraging words. I am glad to have you around again. And yes, I have doubled up the posting interval, cause of your considerate observation.

    Thanks a load sire.

    ReplyDelete